Hiring General Manager Position
We are hiring a new General Manager! Please see all details below, and send any inquiries and applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guelph Dance is seeking candidates for the Guelph Dance General Manager Position.
Application Deadline: May 8, 2015
Training start time: May 22, 2015
Employment start time: June 16, 2015
Please forward any applications or inquiries to email@example.com
Guelph Dance is a nationally recognized leader in contemporary dance, offering a platform for professional, new-generation, and youth dance artists to share their vision, push creative boundaries, and engage community audiences through staged events and outreach activities.
We foster an appreciation for dance in youth by presenting workshops directly in public schools and by giving local youth exposure to professional dance artists. We keep our ticket prices affordable and we offer a variety of free events for people of all ages. Our festival has a strong position in the community, engaged as it is with youth, with local professional artists and with other local festivals with whom we co-present and co-produce exciting staged acts.
We strive to be inclusive and have developed programs that offer support to those with challenges. We curate our programming with thoughtfulness and care to ensure high quality, innovative and culturally diverse works that represent the eclectic blend of dance being produced in Canada.
Reporting to the Board of Directors of Guelph Dance and working in close collaboration with the two Artistic Directors, the General Manager directs the overall operations of Guelph Dance by:
- Developing program management plans and coordinating their implementation;
- Overseeing the creation and implementation of marketing plans;
- Overseeing the creation and implementation of funds development plans;
- Overseeing the financial operations of Guelph Dance;
- Developing and maintaining professional relationships and community networks;
- Hiring and directing staff and contractors.
Roles and Responsibilities of the General Manager
1) Financial Administration
- Overseeing and managing the Festival, Outreach and overall Guelph Dance budgets;
- Providing regular financial and cash flow reports to the Board;
- Working closely with the bookkeeper in managing all bill payments and revenue collection.
2) Marketing Development
- Editing and writing documents/grants/promotional material;
- Writing press releases and informing media across Canada of Guelph Dance activities;
- Overseeing development of Guelph Dance merchandise, and promotional material;
- Compiling and editing information for all Guelph Dance promotional material (ie programs, brochures and website);
- Promotional Material Distribution: ensuring the distribution of postcards, brochures, and programs;
- Overseeing and conducting social media campaign;
- Writing and distributing approximately 12 e-newsletters per year;
- Managing website updates;
- Managing event listings;
- Organizing the promotion of Guelph Dance at public events;
- Keeping on the lookout for new publicity opportunities.
3) Fund Development
- Overseeing membership campaigns (recruitment, renewal, recognition);
- Overseeing private donation campaigns (recruitment, renewal, recognition);
- Overseeing sponsorship campaigns (recruitment, renewal, recognition);
- Assisting with some grant writing and reporting;
- Planning and managing fundraising events;
- Planning and managing advertising drive (for Festival program).
4) General Administration
- Reviewing and signing off on all contracts for artists and goods and services;
- Participating in Board policy development and implementation of policies;
- Managing artist correspondence and hospitality;
- Updating the database;
- Maintaining filing system;
- Attending Board, Committee and Staff meetings when required;
- Performing general office upkeep duties;
- Maintaining and updating the website and computer programs;
- Managing events including Outreach, Co-productions, Residencies, and the Festival;
- Keeping accurate records of all events for grant and final reports.
5) Relationship Management
- Working effectively with the two Artistic Directors and all contract staff including the graphic designer, bookkeeper, and accountant;
- Supporting all Board committees as primary Board liaison;
- Ensuring effective communication throughout the organization;
- Supporting a creative, entrepreneurial spirit throughout the organization;
- Supporting a passion within the organization for contemporary dance and its programs;
- Developing and maintaining professional relationships and community networks.
Requirements for the General Manager Position
Knowledge of and experience with:
• Overall management of an event or artistic organisation (minimum of 3 years of experience);
• Financial principles, obligations and processes (experience with charitable status organizations an asset);
• Marketing and sponsorship/fundraising.
• Strong communication abilities (writing, speaking and making effective presentations);
• Strong organizational skills;
• Strong interpersonal skills;
• Problem solving and leadership skills;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel, able to use database management tools, and experience with Photoshop an asset.